DUI Laws In Kentucky
A DUI conviction can lead to serious consequences, including jail time, loss of your driver’s license and difficulty finding employment. At Russell & Ireland Law Group, LLC, our criminal defense attorneys represent people who are facing DUI charges throughout Northern Kentucky, including Kenton County, Campbell County, Boone County and surrounding areas.
The Penalties Associates With A Kentucky DUI
If you are charged with a DUI in Kentucky, you could face the following penalties:
- First DUI within 10 years: $200-$500 in fines, 48 hours to 30 days in jail (or community service), alcohol or substance abuse treatment program and license suspension of 30-120 days.
- Second DUI within 10 years: $350-$500 in fines, seven days to six months in jail or 10 days to six months of community labor, alcohol or substance abuse treatment program, license suspension of 12-18 months and mandatory ignition interlock device for one year.
- Third DUI within 10 years: $500-$1,000 in fines, 30 days to 12 months in jail or 10 days to 12 months of community labor, alcohol or substance abuse treatment program, license suspension for 24-36 months and mandatory ignition interlock device for 30 months.
- Fourth or subsequent DUI within 10 years: Class D felony, one to five years in prison, alcohol or substance abuse treatment program, license suspension for five years with no hardship license option and mandatory ignition interlock device for 30 months.
Aggravating Factors In Kentucky DUIs
You will also face a mandatory minimum jail sentence when aggravating factors are present, including:
- Driving with a blood alcohol concentration of .15 or higher
- Refusing to take a blood, breath or urine test
- Transporting a child under 12 years old
- Causing an accident resulting in death or a serious injury
- Driving more than 30 miles per hour above the speed limit or driving in the wrong direction on a limited access highway
Get Skilled Defense Again DUI Charges
If you have been charged with a DUI in Northern Kentucky or the Greater Cincinnati area, call our Covington office at 859-535-0180 to schedule a free consultation with a lawyer. You may also contact us online.